Thursday, May 7, 2009

Zanis Waldheim : Geometrical Abstraction

The following images are from an extraordinary website   www.waldheims.net which came to my attention through the wonderful blog dearada.typepad.com . Zanis Waldheim was born in Latvia in 1909. His life is as complex as his drawings below. One has to read the summary of his biography to appreciate just how long and complex his journey was to create these stunning works. They are the result of immense intellectual effort and philosophical curiosity which he gave himself to whilst enduring years of arduous work and tough living circumstances.
Find time to look at the Art gallery and Bio on his website which is attributed to the Sculptor Yves Jeanson (certainly the Biography)

119

167

323

320

322

402

606

627

9
www.waldheims.net

4 comments:

Una Rey said...

I love these, I find pure abstraction and pattern a welcome compliment to my own landscape- based painting practice.

Sophie Munns said...

Aren't they strong images Una? His Bio was really something...and puts this work into context very clearly. I really like your painting I posted (above his work) for your exhibition WONDER. I'd love to see more of this recent work!
Sophie

hexod.us said...

Thank you so much for posting about this.

Zanis Waldheims was my grandfather and I am beginning to explore his life and work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsnet/3670291136/

Stay tuned as the story unfolds...

Sophie Munns said...

How wonderful to hear from you!
I picked up the link form another blog and many people saw and loved his work. Will be pleased to know more!
regards,
Sophie