Friday, January 24, 2014

New Video + Seed Survey + Workshop = busy times at Seed.Art.Lab

Hi again,
      It's Sam,
I'm here for another exciting work day with Sophie after a very long road trip holiday over Xmas and the New year. 
My second time coming back to work has been just as eventful as my first last week. Unusually, last week we got together on Saturday because both of our personal commitments during the week had as running around like mad people. We decided to just run a work shop where we kind of did our own thing. We started off with sepia ink, painting with twigs and experimenting with different textures using seeds. 

All day Saturday I had a creature of some sort bouncing around my head so I let it out. I was quick to grab some water colours and some of Sophie's white ink. I could not of been happier with the end result. The picture below lets you have an exclusive sneak peak into the making of my creature and what happens when Sophie and I are working in the studio. Next to it is another one of my creature known as a 'Wispa'.


Sophie and I  were hard at work creating last week! An enjoyable 
peaceful time where we could both relax after our busy weeks.  
To see more of my artwork you can click on to  My Tumblr OR if  you are interested in any of my work feel free to email me here  and if you'd like updates on what i'm up to, you're welcome to like my facebook page.

We started  work today with a much needed staff meeting in a very creative and quirky cafe called the Shutter + Brew.



Sophie had fun distorting the picture to emphasise how quirky and unique this cafe really is!
Sophie and I talked about our survey that we set up late 2013.  Unfortunately we were very distracted with holidays and my being away so now we are back there is ONE WEEK to go before we will draw the prize

ENTER HERE to fill out the SURVEY FORM which will be sent to us with your answers and email address.

The Survey is really worth while ... and all results will be a great help in establishing understanding what people know about seeds  and current issues ... a very useful thing for the work of the Homage to the Seed project.

Just by filling in a few questions for us, you could win an original artwork by Sophie. You even have a chance to be in the running for the same prize if you share her new video! Enter Survey here.

I also want to tell you about the WORKSHOP Sophie has coming up on Wednesday 29th January. 

Because this workshop has not been publicised but arranged quickly to suit keen participants... we can offer a LAST MINUTE truly special price of $100 if you confirm HERE NOW and pay on booking ... there's two seats left at $100 each... normally $130 for a whole day starting at 10am.


DAY:   Wednesday, 29th February

TIME: 10 am til 4.30 pm

WHERE: 48 Meemar St, Chermside, Brisbane

WHAT YOU NEED: bring lunch to share ... morning + afternoon tea provided.
                                   Art materials provided + you can bring your favourite art mediums   
                                   + art journal/drawing book if you have one in progress.


FOCUS FOR WORKSHOP: 

Choose and research a favourite rainforest plant/fruit/seed pod ... ask Sophie re this!

You will spend the morning exploring various printing, drawing and painting techniques using any or all parts of the plant as the subject matter. 

In the afternoon you will work with these exciting approaches and ideas to produce a concertina style artist's book made from fine watercolour paper. 


Concertina book created by Barbara at 3 x 90 minute workshops I conducted
during a mini-Residency at Springbrook in December : Read more here.
Barbara had not created anything like this before. 25 yrs since leaving school
where she had not experienced being encouraged artistically. It was really
impressive seeing her observation shills out to good use... art classes would
could easily bring considerable satisfaction if she decides to continue on.

The work will then be documented onto a NEW Tumblr site celebrating seed and plant biodiversity...  for the purpose of building a body of colourful, informative work based on Australian plant species that can be shared with others. It will be important to know or discover the botanical name of the species you plan to work with... there are many places you can get information online if you are unsure about this. There are 2 Mac computers available for doing research in the studio.

Several participants booked in already have some work experience in the Botanical realm... not necessarily with art-making however. This  class is for anyone interested in learning more  ... no previous experience is necessary but of course is welcomed too!



journal pages from Springbrook

There is one last thing to share... 

Sophie has just had a VIDEO produced by the Global Crop Diversity Trust which was released this week. 

It takes 3 minutes to watch and is a survey of her various artworks with an audio recording of her work on Seeds and Biodiversity. She wrote all about this at her STUDIO blog here.



              To WATCH click on this U-TUBE link here:
    HOMAGE TO THE SEED, THE CROP TRUST AND ARTIST SOPHIE MUNNS


Anyone who shares this video for Sophie will go into a draw to win one of her recent watercolour works... so please leave a message here or email us if you share this online anywhere so you can be in the draw for FEBRUARY 1ST!




NB: SURVEY + VIDEO SHARE prize
is a water-colour work from this series!


Have a good week everyone and I hope to talk to you all soon!

Sam


5 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

I am going to share this on my facebook page! Thanks for including me in the drawing! I would love to own one of Sophi's lovely pieces!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Hi Sam! This is wonderful and admirable work you and Sophie are doing. I believe very much in the cause of seed biodiversity, and have shared Sophie's video on my latest blog post.

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Roberta and Sharmon. You are both in the running for one of Sophie's original pieces!

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Sam,
I am catching up with my blog reading so the Feb 1st date has passed by. I will post the video in the coming days though as I'd love to share Sophie's work with a wider audience after following the journey for so long now. Sounds like you and she are working well together. Good luck with the accordion book workshop. That strikes me as a great idea to roll out online somehow!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So INTERESTING!
You put so much thought and attention into this! Thanks for sharing...I LIKE this post!