Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Art arrived here with science by tagging along...































































Images: top 2 taken by Norwegian sailor Oyvind Tangen on a research ship 66o miles north of the Antarctic... found at Inhabitat  this month. Inhabit.com is a weblog devoted to the future of design, tracking the innovations in technology, practices and materials that are pushing architecture and home design towards a smarter and more sustainable future -well worth a look!


The 3 Images below were taken by Steve Nicol - found on the Australian Antarctic Divison website . For the curious click on the website's Arts Fellowship  program to view websites of participating artists like Stephen Eastaugh where you can read his Intransit  archive of journeys to Antarctica and beyond.


I have borrowed words for the title of this post from the 2009 Intransit journal entry where Eastaugh  discusses his experience of being in this location in the role of artist. Science he suggests is the main reason people come to this continent...art tags along...mostly in the form of photography.
I was interested to read here there is a recently published Antarctic English dictionary formed from science, acronyms, slang, Inuit and other borrowed words...all required to describe this icy continent.











8 comments:

Vivi said...

Wow. Seriously. Wow. And I love that you highlighed the idea as your post title - there is often such a beautiful relationship between art and science that does not get noted...

Unknown said...

So amazing! I love these photos!!

; said...

these are amazing, so beautiful! my graduation work will partly be about icebergs, glaciers etc. so these are really interesting for me right now:)

Sophie Munns said...

Vivi hello!
I just had a quick visit to your blog and saw the 'mad scientist's lab' post... Happy crocheted heart was spectacular and the frog disection ...the Tenenbaum tent took me back!

The artist's journal I took that quote from is worth a read...quite interesting!
thanks for visiting Vivi!
S

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks for visiting lovely Ms Dragon Fly!
They are all amazing...but I am most taken by the 3rd image with the band of luminous aqua coloured ice trapped between the opaque white. The way the light is coming from behind quite takes my breath away!
S

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Maria,
Do get back to me with images of your work on icebergs etc if that is possible. I'd love to see what you are doing some time!
Thanks for visiting!
S

em said...

sophie, very beautiful!

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Em,
One of the kids I teach tackled icebergs as a subject for a painting on friday...he really got into it...they are spectacular!
S