Thursday, January 6, 2011

driving south for a few days...

Thank you to the many people who left messages after seeing the flood images. I'm sure that those affected are touched by the support coming their way. The global community feels smaller than it is when people take time to send their best.

My brother just sent me this image which made the highway look like a rug that had been misplaced after a heavy night of partying! Massive infrastructure damage is what will leave a huge mark...food prices going up dramatically... much is produced here to feed Australia! Another reason why Food Security is such a big issue as we move into the future. Its been driven home here at the moment



Banana Highway, QLD


On a lighter note ...these are images below (not taken by me) are of one of the places Im off to today for a short break. Ive been here many times and often seen days as clear as this.
But, somewhat in keeping with the feel of the last post, the news from this place this morning when my friend sms'd is that they've had torrential rain since it started last night and to drive carefully!

Cape Byron , Byron Bay,  NSW

Cape Byron Lighthouse

Tallows beach on the right side of the lighthouse facing south

swimming is great here... much of the year!


Mt Warning from the beach to the left of the lighthouse 

Well... dont know how much of these sights I will be seeing ... Im sure the company will be good and its always great to get away. I'll take my camera...who knows... the sun might come out!
ciao,
S x
ps Glad my brother's coming to stay at my place whilst I'm away..flash flooding in parts of Brisbane last night... and I dont want to have my new bike getting wet! More on that later!

12 comments:

xxx said...

Have a safe and fun time away Sophie.
I've not long been back from that corner of the country and it really is beautiful x

india flint said...

enjoy your lovely destination
and the trail thither

Anonymous said...

We finally saw some real news about what is happening in Queensland today. Took all this time to show up here. Enjoy your time south and I hope the food areas will make it through okay. xox Corrine

Caterina Giglio said...

glad to know you are high and dry, in Brisbane right? just checked on my blog friend in Noosa and she is fine too, cannot believe the devastation! that photo at top is a stunner. take good care dear Sophie and have safe travel! xo

Sophie Munns said...

Thank you all.... she says as she rushes around making sure the plants are watered, windows closed etc!
Thunder happening out there... I think a few good CD's for the car...

so ... Robyn, India, Corrine and Cat... thanks for catching me bf I get going..
and a good week to you too!

Yvonne Anderson said...

Have a fab time Sophie!

I just adore Byron Bay....

Janis said...

Oh my goodness Sophie - take care on your travels! I am shocked at the sight of the Banana HWY... Be careful, stay safe - xo

Wishing you sunny days...

Anonymous said...

Bonjour à Vous, recevez ma solidarité et si ma humble personne peut servir à quelque chose pour l'aide je serais là,amicalement: thibault

nathalie et cetera said...

I hope you're having a good trip and that the flood nightmare is over soon. The images of you previous post are heart breaking. We had floods here to (well east of here), in the middle of winter! Tons of rain fell accompanied by record tides! I think Nature is having a nervous breakdown.

Anonymous said...

Hello Yvonne, Janis, thige, and Nathalie ...
I left on thursday and am just home late monday...I drove through rain for 5 days and now home there is more news of towns being inundated.

This is a very difficult story that is not going away yet. One really feels for those people who I just saw on the news who had no warning that there was a deluge coming... its bad enough to know you are going to probably have water in your town and your home.... when its flash flooding and very powerful water surging through... its so destructive and dangerous for all concerned.

So many have spoken also of their experiences..thats the one good thing in this... that people care for others and understand from their own experiences the consequences of this.

thanks to all..
I will hopefully post on my time away...but I hardly got my camera out...it was so grey and raining ... of course I so enjoyed getting away... spending times with friends and seeing places that are special.

cheerio,
S x

inaluxe said...

Hi Sophie, happy new year and happy holidays by the sound of it too. The floods have been full on haven't they?! Wish we could just turn a tap, and it would stop.

Have a fabulous time on holidays - Byron Bay looks amazing - never been there (believe it or not). hugs, K. xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina,
thanks for leaving a lovely message this morning.
We have quite forgotten all our usual rituals for this time of the year. I just went out to stock up the kitchen supplies and stared at the asian goodies and thought how usually it is SO humid here we resort to light asian dishes for summer meals....
this last month or two its been so wet...and so often cool ...no swimming...no long tall icy drinks...just checking the road conditions etc.
Byron was lovely despite not being its usual self...
put it on the list of places to visit sometime... you'll love it!
A wonderful 2011 to you to!
S xo