Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How good is your memory!



Before I start in I'd like to acknowledge the new 'followers' who have come along lately ... welcome and thanks for connecting!
Recently I have been tagged, twice in fact ... first up by Mlle Paradis across the Pacific Ocean... and on the weekend by the Montreal based nathalie et cetera! Also  Mary Zeran from Iowa penned a post which actually makes me blush a little... beautifully put together for her 'discovering the world of art" blog. Take a peek here if you will!


Clouds of Calm , 8" x 8"x 2"
acrylic paint, acetate, masonite, pine, gel medium
Organica:   
Things that happen randomly or by accident.  The idea of layers, transparency, and our ability to examine things up close.  To work collaboratively  with a material.  Not forcing an outcome.  Being present to the experience.  Being in the moment. 

View Mary's website here to see more Artworks. 

Now to Mlle Paradis... I did find a moment to respond to her tagging and come up with a series of writers that have been influential in some way last week here....but what I didn't do is choose whom to pass it on to!  I really enjoyed the challenge of thinking about these writers... so I 'm keen to pass it on.

Before I got round to it Nathalie had tagged me with a very different kind of challenge - an 'I love your blog' award which required the answering of 10 questions:

The rules of the prize are:
Do a post with the prize
Answer the questions
Give the prize to 10 blogs

1. Why did you create the blog?
2. What kind of blogs do you follow?
3. Favourite makeup brand?
4. Favourite clothing brand?
5. Your indispensable makeup product?
6. Your favourite colour?
7. Your perfume?
8. Your favorite film?
9. What country would you like to visit and why?
10.Make the last question and answer to yourself:     

Nathalie did think some of us might balk at questions 3 and 5. Well.. yes... that could be so! But in the spirit of the silly season I'm thinking why not hybridize Mlle Paradis' great question on influential writers with these 10 questions above.

So...what would that hybrid version look like? ...something perhaps along these lines:

!. Name a fav book/writer that mentions blogging.
2. Name a blog you like that deals with books and writing.
3. Name a book/writer you're fond of that somehow features makeup.
4. Name a book/writer that deals with clothing.
5. Name a book/writer that talks of the indespensable anything.
6. Name a book/writer that you adore with a colour as a key motif.
7. Name a fav book/writer for whom perfume is a feature.(challenge 
   is to not go for the obvious one if possible!)
8. Name a fav book/writer which focuses on a film...or vice versa!
9. What country do your fav books/writers tend to hail from? egs..
10.What question would you like to make up about books and 
   writers... then answer.


Well I guess I could not blame you for reverting to one or other of the original tag subjects... influential writers or the first list of 10 questions above... but I wish to dare you to find answers for my hybrid challenge!!! Who wants to have a go? ...I'm going to tag various ones...but I invite you to enter into the silly season spirit and have a go if you come by and wish to take part. This is something you could even do on the night before xmas for a party game (joking) with a glass of whatever ... sherry, egg-nog, vodka?

Im going to try and answer these questions myself before I put it to you... so here goes!

1. books with blogging stories ...I can only think of the Julie and Julia book ...but i read it last year and did enjoy it!
2. A blog I like that deals with books and writing - I like to visit Slow Muse for the fact it introduces me to poets Ive not read before... and ideas that come from a broad ranging literary sources. There are others ... but thats a good start for me!
3. make-up... any ideas...anyone? Oscar Wilde?
4. clothing ... Jane Austin books come to mind... there must be many on this topic! Aesop "The lamb began to follow the wolf in sheep's clothing" (thanks google)
5. indespensible - clothes are crucial in some parts.“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society'. Mark Twain
6. Colour - The film "three colours blue" just came to mind! For a book...well... any ideas out there.
7. Perfume - "Happiness is a perfume which you cannot pour on someone without getting some on yourself" Ralph Waldo Emerson
Trying to think of a book that has a scent or aroma that features.
Something is stuck in the back of my mind!
8. Film... mmm... these questions are hard... I need help... who made them up? Ben Okri's 'Arcadia' was a book about a painting which I rather liked. Film... any ideas?
9. Country of origin of fav books/writers - sometimes I have gone through stages of reading books from a particular place... Greece comes to mind and Scotland. Its a while since I did that though! 
10. Thank god I can make this one up... what books hold appeal when bedridden? Crime and Detective books - my mother gave me Agatha Christie to read when I was 14 and home ill from school. Its escapist for me... they come into their own at that time!

Well ... I barely scraped together answers here ... so of course you can do better than me...

And the blogs I'm choosing to tag:
Should you wish to respond to any of the three challenges - 
Passage Paradis , Mary Zeran , NathalieCaterina at La Dolce Vita, Janis at janis, Em at garden foolPriya at the Plum Tree, denise at grrl and dog, a paper snowflake, gloria freshly art and design, Jaci at blue china studio, Lucy at nourish me , Ro Bruhn ... and you! If you have time in this busy season please join in! 

PS If you can help out with question do leave a comment!

Im thinking maybe everyone is just too busy at the moment for this... but if you're feeling game....dont be shy! Alternatively come back to it after xmas... when you've been given a few books... or have thought of some !!!! Sorry Nathalie for paying havoc with a simple idea... You can tell that Ive technically "gone on holidays'  from the fact I could be bothered to do something this whimsical...I am off to Melbourne for 5 days late thursday... so a quick break down south is also making for the feeling of lightness after a long demanding period of concentration!
See you all,
S x



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sophie! Your contribution to the world is much more important than you realize. I will take the challenge. Let's see if there is any cross over. As for the other blogs...I love Mlle Paradis and am rushing over to Natalie's.

xxxooo Have a wonderful time in Melbourne.

Sophie Munns said...

hello Mary,
Im blushing again.... i must say I love that work of yours I added here to this post... I want to dive into it and swim around!
thank you... looking forward to Melbourne...a dear friend from when I lived down there just got back to me to say she's around ... so it will be lovely to have some additional catch ups as well as my friend's celebration to go to... the reason for the trip!
Sophie xox

Sharmon Davidson said...

Well, there's no way I'm answering all of them, but I might be able to help you out with one or two.
#7- Jitterbug Perfume, by Tom Robbins. All events connect somehow to finding the missing ingredient in an ancient perfume. "Jitterbug Perfume is an epic. Which is to say, it begins in the forests of ancient Bohemia and doesn't conclude until nine o'clock tonight [Paris time]. It is a saga, as well. A saga must have a hero, and the hero of this one is a janitor with a missing bottle. The bottle is blue, very, very old, and embossed with the image of a goat-horned god. If the liquid in the bottle actually is the secret essence of the universe, as some folks seem to think, it had better be discovered soon because it is leaking and there is only a drop of two left." Great book.
#6- The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Yellow represents repression, or depression and insanity, or maybe both- yeah, that's it, I think?
#3- In "The Hunger Games Trilogy" by Suzanne Collins, the protagonist, Katnis, has a team of stylists to make her up in preparation for the Hunger Games. The spectacular costume designed by her stylist sets into motion a series of events that enable her to win the games, and eventually start a revolution.

Okay, that's all I can come up with right now.
Dang!- this is hard!

p.s. I really like the Mark Twain quote.

Sharmon Davidson said...

p.p.s. Have a great time on your trip!

Sophie Munns said...

Ho Sharmon...
I am so pleased you had a lash at this!
I was rather surprised at the challenge...not easy!!!.... so I am going to hand this quiz around and see what others can come up with at a dinner next week.

However I am going to add your suggestions to the post...or a new one... totally delighted you put your thinking cap on and came up with these!

and thanks for the travel wishes..
S

blue china studio happy said...

Hi Sophie,
Thanks for tagging my blog! I love your hybridized questions. I'm going to have to come back this weekend and try to answer them when I have more time to think.

Take care,
Jaci

Maggie Neale said...

Sophie, enjoyable...glad you are taking it easy and having holiday. I am still way over my head in projects to think book titles or perfume, but Red Tent by Anita Diamont did come to mind. Enjoy! And happy Solstice!

Anonymous said...

its fun to peek into your life with these memes,

though I steer away myself,

something reminds me of a chain letter or something.

I am loving the stuff on Abigail Doan in yourother blog, been a fan of hers for a while now.

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Jaci,
lovely to hear from you...and yes... if you can find the time... I would love to see what you come up with!
maybe between all of us we can patch together some good answers!
see you!
S

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Maggie... thanks for a great contribution...
A title here and there adds up!
Hope you are going to have a lovely festive season and keep warm... It must be cold over there!
Sophie

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Grrl ...
totally get your take on that... glad you enjoyed visiting the Abigail Doan post - and are also a fan...good stuff hey!
S