Monday, June 7, 2010

a penchant for maps...

Tonight I was clicking through some places I like to visit but haven't for a while. You know how it goes - one minute I was at some obscure but fascinating site, then at Huffington Post, then the guardian.co.uk which lead to BLDG BLOG and a wonderful post titled NEW WORLD ORDER which I noticed at the end credited Data is Nature , another wonderful must see site/blog if you have an interest in how art may cross-pollinate with science.

New World Order features -
             "Artist Shannon Rankin does amazing things with maps. Treating them as mere pieces of decorated paper to be manipulated—clipping out spirals, folding crevassed roses of ridges and faultlines, pinning up confetti-like clouds of circles and zigzags—she creates "new geographies, suggesting the potential for a broader landscape."  TEXT: Bldg blog


















Please do go across the post for a much more comprehensive introduction to this wonderful artist. You'll find the link to the artist's website there as well. Maps have a strong lure for many ... however I found some interesting directions being taken in this particular artist's work. Some time ago I found a blog dedicated to artists using maps .... I'm reminded to go back looking for that!

*About DataisNature:


Dataisnature is a weblog of personal and recreational research containing information and links covering the following topics - Robot Art, Algorithmic and Procedural Art, Computational Aesthetics, Glitch Aesthetics, Vj’ing, Video Art, Computational Archaeology and similar subjects. My impetus behind this weblog is to share and collate my findings in a central repository and publish for the benefit of interested communities.

14 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

This is interesting, inventive work. I love the metaphoric implications of taking apart and rebuilding the world.

Caterina Giglio said...

how creative and wonderfully textured. thanks for this Sophie! hope you are doing well.. ciao bella!

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Altoon,
I immediately wanted to post the work as I gazed at it earlier tonight ...it seemed to evolve as an idea in such fascinating ways... how you put it is so apt!

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Cat,
Its delightful to view this work I agree...have had an extremely busy number of days...tomorrow is a slow family catch up day, then busy again...but its all good!
Best to you,
Sophia x

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Great research and wandering...I like maps too and this artist has created maps beyond imagination!

Caio Fern said...

Sophie , your blog is so lovely and beautiful .
it was a real gift to have discovered you today .

roz said...

love this work....
talk about a ' reframe '!

Sophie Munns said...

Maryanne,
lovely to hear from you! Aren't maps wonderful and these works a particularly rewarding find! There's more at the blog I link too!

Sophie Munns said...

Caio,
thank you for visiting and leaving such warm comments for me to read this morning. It was an adventure indeed to have a quick visit across to your cosmos... surprise, humour, delight, contradiction, ...definitely you are an original and for the curious. Your post on street art was thought provoking - and I appreciate that you step aside of convention and yet make a plea for beauty.
thank you for responding here!
Sophie

Sophie Munns said...

Dear 'r',
appreciate the comment - 'reframe' indeed -hope you made it over to the link!
S

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Sophie,
I love maps and the ways artists use them. I've been watching Shannon's work and reading her blog for quite a while. She is wonderfully inventive and deserves a wider audience. Once you start looking there are lots of creative ways with maps. Wonderful! Lesley

Sophie Munns said...

Great to hear from you Lesley...your visit prompted me to pop over to your 'printed material' blog where i found on one page some fantastic stuff. I have been running out of time to visit anyone of late...sadly!

I've always saved maps like a free one I picked up 20 odd years ago in Athens that was the most beautiful map I'd ever personally laid my hands on at that point... it even had tiny images of ancient buildings and trees on it amidst the crowded streets - and what amazed me was that you could read and use it easily!
Thanks for letting me in on the fact she has a blog...didn't notice that visiting her website,
best,
Sophie

nathalie et cetera said...

such beautiful work! I can't believe the pattern in the last photo! perfect!

Sophie Munns said...

Isn't it fantastic nathalie... just right somehow!