Wednesday, November 2, 2011

PS... The residence...


PS! This is connected to the previous story I just posted. 

I'd forgotten I had saved these images in draft.... they are of the residence at the MSB. Designed by architects Stanton Williams you can visit the MSB website to see more images.

Kew's Millennium Seed Bank - Design and build

The architects Stanton Williams worked closely with Kew's scientific and buildings maintenance staff to design the Millennium Seed Bank building.
Designer's sketch of the MSB building


The architects used Entadaspecies as inspiration. (Photo: H.J. Schlieben, Tanzania 1935)

Entada species and collector


This is exactly the kind of seed pod I love to draw so I was fascinated to read a book in the library about the design and build of this amazing facility.

These are a few I took of the courtyard which has been dugout... the resident's rooms all face onto the courtyard and have privacy yet the large windows allow for light.






My room was commandeered for a studio as well. Other residents were all doing seed-science research therefore working in the Labs or Library down the hall.



Directly above the rooms on one side was this greenhouse. 
It was easy to feel cosy and warm in this accommodation.




6 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

can it really be november already? you must be enjoying spring... looks like a great makeshift studio and I really enjoyed the below posts as well... you have been so very busy... sending you a hug and it is nice seeing you on tumblr occasionally.. xo

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

This is all so interesting! So glad you have had such a great experience.... love your drawings!

Anonymous said...

The facility looks wonderful. Very clean and simple. I loved seeing your "studio". There were tons of amazing drawings on the wall that I would love to see in person. I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering....What is Sophie doing right now?

Carole Reid said...

Wow Sophie! Your room, your art covered walls, the courtyard, the greenhouse, the seeds, the book, the drawers, and your artwork are so exciting! You don't know how inspiring your posts have been for me. Thank you.

Valerianna said...

Cool beans - as they say - which I think is appropriate as they are also seeds..... Wonderful journey-posts. I look forward to how the experience sprouts. (just couldn;t resist!)

Velma Bolyard said...

what a place to work in! how your work complemented the science and natural history is exciting